Saturday, December 22, 2012

Invaluable.

Today my heart was deeply touched. One of my fb friends messaged me that she had a little something for me. This friend goes back a few years, & I've always loved her. Her husband used to be my next door neighbor, & when our kids were little, he & I tag teamed in our driveways. While the kids ran circles around us, we'd laugh at their silly jokes, referee their neighborhood squabbles, & listen to their troubles.

Yes... those were the days. Little children in high heels pushing baby buggies. Artwork in the driveway made of sidewalk chalk. Lemonade stands.  Neighborhood clubs. Wading pools & sprinklers. Running barefoot from yard to yard. Those were the days! Sometimes they seem so far away, & other times, so close.

Today we brought those sweet memories to life. It was so much fun to visit the past & share some laughs. Those days weren't easy. In fact, some of them were rather stressful. After all, refereeing neighborhood squabbles wasn't really my thing, but the memories of carefree summer days, building snowmen, & always having a playmate are invaluable.

So as we reminisced today... we remembered Jennifer & Heather, Amy & David, Nikki, Beth, & Eddie, Sarah & Nick, Haley & Dustin, & yes, my 3 little daughters. Many of their friends came to mind too. We marveled at what nice young adults they've all become. Hearing about their professions, their husbands & wives, & some of their childhood traits which still remain was truly inspiring.

I couldn't help but think of some of those little squabbles & wonder how their small troubles helped them grow. I remember their beautiful young faces with fondness. I can still see them chasing each other with the hose, selling lemonade, & yelling back & forth across the street. These days were precious.

My friend brought me a special gift today. She made me a Pink Santa. I am deeply touched & honored. She & her husband also brought the gift of friendship. We visited & visited some more. As we said good-bye, my husband & I felt so refreshed. It was truly a Christmas gift that caught us by surprise. It took me back a few years to a different chapter of my life. It was a special time. Our kids were young, &  as we listened to their little troubles, made peanut butter & jelly, & scooped ice-cream into cones, we formed a bond. Today, we got to share that priceless bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment