Monday, December 10, 2012

Busy Busy Busy!

Today I visited a preschool. It brought back memories of my old teaching days. In fact, I felt like I fit right in. I even had the desire to be a part of the teaching team. The children were so beautiful. Their eyes sparkled. You could tell they were glad to be at school. Their teachers were dedicated. The kids greeted one another. It was sweet!

I enjoyed conversing with the lead teacher. Her program amazed me. My favorite room was the sensory room. This room had a small tent filled with colorful balls (kind of like the old McDonald's play land). It had a neat swing that allowed the kids to develop balance. There were a few preschool size trampolines & a whole host of other adventures. My favorite was the rocking boat. Reminded me of my own little Sunday School days.

We discussed the growing number of children in need of programs similar to the one I visited today. My conclusion: the family life style has changed so much that our children are suffering. It takes so much to nourish a child. Sadly, some children spend the majority of their lives being drug from one place to another.

Children need to spend time in their own home with their own parent(s). When they are little, they need to be read stories, have snuggle time, & be allowed to play. Too much fast food really isn't the answer to our busy lives. Signing them up for one more activity has its downside too. Both children & parents need time to breathe.

It seems that when children are allowed enough time to have their needs met, they feel better, are generally happier, & better behaved. I would describe it as being more centered, more secure. In the short time I was there, I was pleased to see how the children looked out for one another. The atmosphere was peaceful. What a nice place for a child to flourish!

As their school day came to a close, I could hear them singing "Ho ho... ho ho ho" to the tune of Bingo. Little faces were smiling. Their day began with a positive start. They even go to put up Christmas decorations. I don't know how their day progressed from there, but for that moment, all was right with their small world. My heart went out to both the kids & the teachers. The teachers can't fix a child, but I believe the time & love invested in the lives of these precious children is making a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment