Saturday, May 11, 2013

I can't take my eyes off of him.

Today was The Race for The Cure 2013. A year ago I walked as a Survivor, but I felt like a fighter. I was still undergoing radiation, & I didn't know if I would have the stamina to get through The Race. I made it! I was truly blessed by the whole event. I had much apprehension last year because I didn't know how I would handle the day emotionally. To my surprise, I felt empowered. I expected to feel the opposite.

This year, I walked The Race with a whole new appreciation for my life. As the year has passed, one day at a time, I can look back and see growth. I have regained my strength. I never even considered not being able to finish today's race. As I remembered my sweet friend in a wheel chair last year, I met up with her along the way today. She was sporting a tutu & all smiles. No wheel chair for her this year!

I have become passionate about my cause because I see the horrible effects of this journey called cancer. It blows my mind that I can see such a terrible disease as a blessing & even thank God for allowing me or even causing me to walk this journey. I am a changed woman not only physically but emotionally & spiritually too. I wouldn't trade 2 out of 3. I bet you can guess which one I would trade.

This year I walked The Race for my dear Survivor friends & fighters. I walked for future patients. Lastly, I walked for myself.  I don't feel guilty that my cause gets so much hype,  no... not anymore. Since my diagnosis, I have met so many women on this journey. I have been aware of beautiful women who have finished their fight to pass into Heaven, & a few friends have been recently diagnosed. Even though I thank God for my journey, I wouldn't wish it on anyone,

One thing that saddens me the most is the fact that more & more younger women are being diagnosed. This statistic makes me shudder.   I am so grateful that I got to be 49 before I was diagnosed. I am grateful my 3 daughters were not young girls or babies. I had the joy of raising them without what I once considered a heavy cloud.

I have spent the year trying to evaluate what I might have done to cause cancer. Truth is... I will never know. There are too many factors. Perhaps in my case, it's best that I can only speculate. Also, I never received a complete diagnosis. I was denied a PET scan. Over time, I have come to realize that the unknown is a necessary element of my journey. It gives my faith a whole new meaning.

Today, I walked as a first time Grandma! Wow... a year ago, my lil grandson was not part of the picture. I have been a recipient from current research & am even a part of a clinical trial. My life exists now because of this research. Without it, I would not be here to walk The Race or see my precious lil grandson. I can't take my eyes off of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment