Sunday, October 14, 2012

I wish I was still there with him.

Everyone needs a get away now & then. We headed to Galena, Il over the weekend to spend a little time together, just the 2 of us. The forecast was frightening, & we considered canceling. However, I'll be having surgery in a few weeks, & we thought we better take advantage of our opportunity. So glad we did!

It was a warm misty rain as we walked the quaint streets of Galena (a first for both of us). So many shops, so many choices, what to do, what to do... We settled on "Fried Green Tomatoes," which offered the most picturesque setting of all. And, we ate fried green tomatoes, a delicacy to be sure.

We walked the streets & ducked in & out of the many little shops. Of course, my husband did a bit of people watching while I checked out the goods. However, he did enjoy the Gourmet Shops & a few fancy samples along the way. My cheat of the day was double fudge ice-cream, a good cheat, no regrets.

After checking in at our hotel & catching our breath, we headed back to the streets to find some dinner. I picked the spot, "Durty Gurts." We were lured in by her sign which said we couldn't use her stoolah if we didn't pay any moolah. I'm not quite sure why that amused us, but it did.

We slept in this morning. My husband ordered the sweetheart package which allowed us to take our time. Back to the streets of Galena we went to say good-bye. But, before we headed home, we ate a little brunch, bought a few goodies, & sipped some hot cocoa. The temp was dropping, & it hit the spot.

Highlight: one on one time with each other. I'll be honest. I love to be doted on by my husband, & I felt doted on the whole get away. This was our private celebration of my end of treatment. I felt very loved. We stretched out our magical weekend when we got home by sharing our Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory Caramel Apples we bought just before we left. Mine was Peanut Butter. His was English Toffee. Delicious doesn't even begin to describe such delectables.

It's good to be loved, & it's good to spend time with the one you love. Having a little get away allows you to focus on each other, to see if you've been missing anything in the business of life. Our get away was spent in a leisurely fashion. We spent a lot of time looking into each other's eyes & hearing what the other one had to say. My only regret... I wish I was still there with him.

1 comment:

  1. Truly touching Susie. You are lucky to have such an amazing relationship with your husband. So glad you enjoyed your trip to Galena! :)

    ReplyDelete