Saturday, October 27, 2012

I would never have applied for membership.

It's been a whirlwind around here. People & events are coming & going so fast, I can't catch my breath. There's so much I could blog about, but I think I will stick to one subject, The Pink Promise Celebration. Last Friday, I took part in this event as a model. I was stepping way out of my box in modeling an outfit, but felt I should do it for the cause. Honestly, I'm still befuddled as to why I was asked.

I picked up my beautiful friend, Elizabeth, & we headed for the hotel to get all dolled up & dressed. This event was a fund raiser for Susan G. Komen. I've never participated in anything like this, but it was so meaningful. As each model hit the runway, her survivor story was read. As the emcee finished the model's story, she walked the runway. During her strut, the emcee described her outfit. Upbeat music was playing, & we were instructed to "do our thing."

The problem for me was... I have no thing. I have no rhythm & very little coordination. Walking that runway in front of 400 people took some courage for me. Other models made it look easy. For me, it was anything but easy. However, I have spent this past year repeatedly stepping out of my box, & this was another opportunity to do just that. I managed not to focus on my shortcomings too much until it was time for me to step up to the runway. Thank Goodness the volunteer gave me a few pointers just before my name was called.

I don't quite know how to describe what I was feeling as I stood before 400 people while my story was read. I remember the best part was seeing my family & friends just off to the side of the runway. Their faces comforted me. Many of them were teary eyed as Elizabeth's story preceded mine. She received a well deserved standing ovation. I even had tears in my eyes as I approached the runway, so honored to follow her. I treasured each moment I spent with her that day.

As I listened to my fellow survivors' stories & spent time with them in the dressing room, I received many small treasures (as I always do on this journey). The most frequently occurring common thread I noticed was that cancer never comes at a good time.  Their stories had similarities, but each had it's own unique twist. Each survivor (without a doubt) remembers the day her lump was discovered. She remembers where she was, how it was found, & the horror that followed. All of these women had lives that were put on hold for a year while they received surgery, treatment, & possibly radiation.

It seems to me that the surgeries & treatments varied as much as the discoveries of our lumps. As we connected with each other & shared our stories, I realized that we had a few other common threads. Loved ones got us through our journey. Friends & family were essential. Faith is a stronghold which enabled us to walk this walk & remain whole. These women were kind & caring. It was uplifting to spend the morning with them. I felt so honored to walk the same runway & follow in their footsteps. As the event ended, my husband & I headed for the car, I felt so happy. My family & friends were so good to me. Their presence made me feel honored.

I've made new friends on this journey... They are my beloved treasures. When a friend (new or old) walks alongside you & holds your hand, it makes all the difference in the world. Whether that friend is your husband, your daughter, your best friend, or your new friend... the difference they make in your life is indescribable. I feel as though I've joined a new club. I can't say I would ever have applied for membership, but I am truly happy to be initiated. My survivor friends have become a precious part of my life. At The Pink Promise Celebration, I felt such a strong connection to so many people, both new friends & old. My blessings overflow.

3 comments:

  1. Susie,
    Reading this made me as proud of you as I did at the beautiful, meaningful luncheon/fashion show that I felt honored to be invited to as your friend. Being your friend means more to me than I can express. I think that people are drawn to you for so many reasons -- your personality, your positivity, your genuineness (in a nutshell -- YOU!-- plain and simple!! -- YOU! As you know, people come into your life for a reason -- I'm just glad you came into mine!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete