Sunday, October 21, 2012

It's all of 3 words...

It seems like a long time since I've blogged. Life has picked up its pace a little too much lately. Lots of meaningful things have been happening in my life, & it's hard work to sort through all of it (at least some of it). As most of my fb friends know, I went to a benefit yesterday for my hero, Elizabeth. I knew it would be touching, & it was. I believe it turned out to be just what she hoped it would be... children having fun!

As I watch Elizabeth on her journey, walk my own journey, & watch others suffer disease & hardship, I have come to realize that really only 2 things matter in life: faith & relationship. Recently, I was convicted about the fact that God never intended us to walk life on our own or with Him alone. He very much yearns for a relationship with us. His presence in our lives is the greatest need we have. Second to that is our relationship with people.

I believe we are created with a need for both faith & relationship. Occasionally, someone will ask me what they can do for a friend who is newly diagnosed with a serious illness. My reply is simple. It's all of 3 words: Just be there. It's okay if you don't know what to say or do. Just be there. Just hold your loved one up & walk hand in hand.

As I've said before, God's presence is greater than any miracle. It sustains & gets us through the impossible. I believe people are the hands & feet of Jesus. They serve as our tangible hug from God. People are limited in what they can do. They may not be able to change a thing, but just in walking our walk with us, they are doing something more impactful than they may ever know.

As I hugged Elizabeth yesterday, she said she felt loved. Her face was glowing, & she looked loved (both by her Heavenly Father & her loved ones). Yesterday, she was surrounded with tangible love, enough love to last through eternity. Even on her journey, she loves her life. Even in her suffering, she musters up the strength to let her light shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment