Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Lately...

Lately I have sunk my whole heart & soul into learning about Robb Wolf's Paleo diet. I am going to see a nutritionist tomorrow, & I am very excited. I've had people interested in why I have decided to make some dietary changes. If you are interested, please read on. If you are tired of hearing about it, please don't read another word.

My friend recently introduced me to this whole Paleo thing. Honestly, about 10 years ago, a friend of my mom's suggested I check into going gluten free due to my Ulcerative Colitis. Regrettably, I didn't give it much thought. I did not notice a gut reaction to gluten, so I figured it was a nonissue for me.

Now, another decade later, I not only have Ulcerative colitis, but cancer too. I figure I have nothing to lose. Obviously, the diet I've been on has not served me well. Research backs up Wolf's theories that gluten causes inflammatory illness, autoimmune diseases, cancer, & a whole host of other issues.

So... I have immersed myself in learning about the Paleo diet. I have browsed local grocery stores to see what each one carries that could be helpful to my cause. I have cleaned out my kitchen & thrown out or given away anything that didn't meet my new standards. Robb Wolf has a website with a section devoted to Paleo recipes. I have tried many of them. We have never eaten this well in our married life & never with such variety.

I've invested in a few cookbooks, a food processor, & a few other kitchen gadgets. I didn't know I liked to cook. In fact, I've always prided my self in just the opposite.  I know that makes no sense. If I could redo my childrens' childhood, I would be a much healthier cook. I would sink my heart into cooking healthy meals & making dinner time special. I really blew it in this area.

We are finding that what we eat really does effect how we feel. My husband no longer suffers from his inevitable food coma. I am finding that what I eat has more staying power. I am not going all hypoglycemic between meals as has been my life long custom.

If you follow my blog, you know that since I returned from my vacay, I've faced some problems with my liver enzymes being elevated. All other labs are normal. I see my GI on Thursday. I welcome his input & am anxious to see what he has to say. My enzymes have been a concern for about 3 weeks now, & I am ready to put this matter to rest. Unfortunately, I think it will take some time for my liver function to return to normal.

In the meantime, this diet has been a positive thing for me to sink my teeth into (literally). It's kept my mind busy. Learning something new is always exciting. I've enjoyed seeing my husband enjoy my cooking on a regular basis for the first time in our history. He was not one to complain; I think we are both in awe. We never thought we'd see this day.

I'm not pretending to understand this whole diet thing. I am just catching on. I figure if I follow Wolf's recipes, & use only Paleo friendly ingredients, I cannot go wrong. I have many questions to ask the nutritionist tomorrow. I am hopeful that he will tweak this Paleo way of life to fit my unique needs.
I will update on my blog occasionally, but I really don't want to be too annoying. If you stuck with me & read this whole blog, may God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment