Monday, July 30, 2012

What would we do without her?

As I was driving home Sunday from my mom's, I couldn't stop writing this blog in my head.  I've thought of writing this blog for a long time but was waiting for just the right moment. Leaving my mom was more difficult this time than usual. I haven't been able to spend time with her in awhile, & we had some precious moments together. My sister-in-law, Laurie, came over to be with her as I was leaving. My mom was sobbing, & I felt so helpless.

I have always loved Laurie & admired her. I've always appreciated her, but I am indebted to her for life.  She lovingly cares for my mom. When I first arrived, I needed to be acclamated as to what would be needed of me. I took my cues from Laurie as I watched her tenderly care for my mother. I watched as she helped buckle her into the car & adjusted her shoulder strap.

I watched as she lovingly asked my mom what she would like to do, & did all she could to accommodate my mother's wishes. She read my mom like a book & responded accordingly. When my mom hurt, she gently asked her if she was ready to leave. She organizes her pills, pays her bills, & takes her swimming on a daily basis. I am grateful.

In return, my mom loves Laurie. She trusts her & looks to her for guidance. She frequently asks Laurie her opinion. She often quotes Laurie & smiles proudly. Many times, I have asked myself, "What would we do without Laurie?" Little did I know how much Laurie would bless my life when my brother married her.

I could not have predicted this past year in my life or how it would coincide with my mom's need for loving care. I've always said, "God only sends the very best." He has proven this over & over in my life. He does provide. He does answer prayers. I am grateful for my sweet sister-in-law. What would we do without her?

No comments:

Post a Comment