Wednesday, August 22, 2012

... the hope of a new tomorrow

Each day of my life is simply a new day. It doesn't matter so much what I do. It just feels good to do the mundane. I never knew run of the mill could be refreshing. A few days ago, I went to a meeting at my church. It was the first meeting I've been to in a very long time. I don't even like meetings, but I was so excited to be invited to a meeting.

Today I rolled out 3 pie crusts & made pecan pies for a big church event coming up this weekend. It's a Community Bash, & I get to help with a booth. It's been a long time since I've baked a pie. In fact, I've never baked a pecan pie. And... it's probably been 3 years since I've served in any capacity in a church setting. I am overwhelmed with joy to have a loving church home & to be healthy enough to serve. I didn't realized how much I missed being a part of something so vital to my being.

My life is not without worries, but overall, it's beginning to pick up speed, & I feel so alive. Running into people again brings me joy. I have made a few new friends, & I care deeply about them. My old friends are pretty special too. They feel kind of like new friends since our time together has been limited. Getting together & sharing life always brightens my spirit.

Driving 45 minutes to see my oldest daughter is liberating. For a year, she has come to see me on a weekly basis & helped me with my errands. Today, I went to see her & take her out to lunch. We shopped a little, ate a little, & laughed a lot. My youngest & I pulled into the driveway, fed the dog, & off we went to get her ready for apartment life. To think that I had enough stamina to pull this off made me chuckle.

I can honestly say... the warmth of the sunshine has never felt so comforting. The sky has never looked so brilliant. The breeze has never felt so gentle & peaceful. People have never meant so much to me. Spending time with them has never brought such joy. I've even begun to love to cook. Clearly, something must be wrong with me. Meetings & cooking were never part of my DNA. I'm shaking my own head & rolling my eyes in wonder.

The best part... my husband has new hours. We go to bed together & wake up at the same time. He doesn't need an afternoon nap. He comes home to dinner, & we take a walk. My hair is curling up like never before, & we just watch in amazement. It makes us laugh. Life has new meaning. It is precious. It is refreshing. Together we take each step with the hope of a new tomorrow.

2 comments: