Thursday, August 23, 2012

Relief ran through my body.

As I was running errands this morning, driving here & there, my mind began to wander as it often does. However, I soon found myself fixated on a particular thought. I couldn't stop thinking this thought, so I decided it was blog worthy...

This week I made an unexpected trip to my GP because my neck was bothering me. Once you've had a cancer diagnosis, try as you might, it's hard to ignore anything new or unusual. So when I awakened yesterday with stinging eyes, I decided they might just be a catalyst to get my neck examined.

I called & tried to explain to the nurse what was troubling me. My eyes were easy to describe. My neck was not. She took notes & said she'd call me back. The doctor made room in his schedule for me, & in I went (afraid of being treated for hypochondria).

After a little friendly banter, he looked at my eyes & suggested some medicine. Next, he examined my neck & assured me it would be okay (nothing that wouldn't go away on its own). Relief ran through my body for 2 reasons. #1 I would be okay.  #2  I wasn't a hypochondriac.

So... as I was driving this morning, I was thinking about how thankful I am for my GP. He has witnessed me at my worst. He always has compassion, & my melt downs don't seem to scare him. He hasn't always been able to cure my illnesses; after all, some things are treatable but not curable. However, he has always taken time to address my many issues & help me understand them.

Yesterday, once my sense of relief came, I had questions for him about other things, not life or death things, just things I'm trying to grasp. There's so much I don't understand about the human body, cancer, diet, inflammatory illnesses, & the like. At the end of his long day, he again took time to answer  my questions & address my concerns.

As he walked out of the exam room, he told me I was in good health, & he wanted me to leave his office knowing that... As I pulled in my driveway (with a grateful heart), I sought out my youngest daughter & told her I was being treated for hypochondria. Sometimes it doesn't pay to play pranks. She believed me.

2 comments: