Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bump.

Yesterday was a sweet day. A friend/neighbor had just brought me home made candies & sat for a short visit. As she said her good-byes, I looked at the clock & realized I had two minutes left to call the doctor. I had a pending question on my mind. A question I wanted an answer to so I could address my further treatment plan.

I wish I had not picked up my phone & pressed CALL.  Prior to that moment I was thinking that I had the perfect day. My oldest came to spend the morning with me & brought with her a beautiful display of Valentine goodies. We laughed & shared sweet memories. My husband came home with heart shaped pizza & mushy card. He knows what  touches my heart. Flowers were unexpectedly delivered from a family I adore. The bouquet was complete with sparkly hearts. My niece sent me a "Surrounded by Love" angel, chocolates, & blessed me with a card that filled my eyes with tears. I just couldn't imagine a happier heart at that moment...

Then it happened. My world was shattered. The doctor refused to answer my question until my next visit. "But... wait... I need this information for the doctor I see first. " The reply..."Then have his office call me." The bottom line (according to me)... It doesn't matter that it is my life we are talking about, & I have just been removed from the equation. It doesn't matter that I have anxiety & have to wait for my next appointment. It doesn't matter that my mind will wander into unknown territory that is unhealthy for any mind. Nothing matters. Nothing I can say will achieve anything positive to help me find my answer. My words (at best) only stand to hurt me. I need to thank the nurse and say good-bye. So I did.

I called my oldest daughter & began to fall apart. I couldn't imagine what this response meant, & again I was helpless. I hated myself for casting a cloud on my daughter's Valentine's Day. My husband got up from his nap, & you could see the hurt in his eyes as he listened. I ate my heart shaped pizza feeling numb. He didn't even eat.

Slowly the truth began to seep in... This is our life. We have been through worse, & together, we will get through this bump. Maybe the doctor just wants to be able to look me in the eye & explain my options (to be sure I understand)?  Maybe it's her policy not to discuss such "things" over the phone?  Maybe she is in fact being kind?

My decision: #1  to hold onto my good news
                      #2  to realize this part of my life will never go away
                      #3  it's okay because it keeps me close to God

As the day came to a close, I knew our hearts were already beginning to mend. My middle daughter came home with a beautiful heart shaped cookie. Her timing was precious. The 3 of us ate the whole thing all the while remarking over it's deliciousness. Joy began to creep back into my heart.




3 comments:

  1. This song by Greg Long gave me comfort once as I waited on news...


    Pain
    The gift nobody longs for, still it comes
    And somehow leaves us stronger
    When it's gone away

    Pray
    I try and pray for Your will to be done
    But I confess it's never fast enough for me

    It seems
    the hardest part is waiting on You
    When what I really want
    Is just to see Your hand move

    I want a peace beyond my understanding
    I want to feel it fall like rain
    In the middle of my hurting
    I want to feel Your arms as they surround me
    And let me know that it's okay
    To be here in this place
    Resting in the peace that only comes
    In the waiting

    Time
    Time to let it go and just believe
    Trusting in what no one else but You can see

    Free
    Freedom from the fears that close me in
    When I can't get beyond where I have been, but then

    Again
    The silence doesn't mean that I'm alone
    As long as I can hear
    That I am still Your own.

    We all pray with, and for you Susie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the doctor is just flabberghasted dismayed and surprised - can't believe the amazing things our Great GOD can do. Maybe the doctor cannot bring herself to concede that all her knowledge is blown away to smithereens by an infinite God who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us... Maybe the doctor is trying to make sense of the findings because a God who is in total and absolute control of the Universe and will not dish us any more than we can handle, that God chooses to hold you in the palm of His hand - and this baffles the doctor. Maybe a lot of things my dear sister in Christ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie,
    I think all the decisions you made are perfect! Holding onto your good news is such a positive and no one can take that away from you! Realizing this part of your life will always be with you will always allow you to "cherish every moment" and never miss anything wonderful. Keeping you close to God is never anything less than wonderful -- the spiritual side of you makes you who you are -- a beautiful, sweet, wonderful mom/daughter/wife/friend/woman!!! <3 you! Sherry

    ReplyDelete