Tuesday, February 28, 2012

a priceless treasure

What is an earthen vessel? In the world of art, it's a piece of pottery or stoneware. In the Bible, it's our body.  "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God & not of us" (2 Corinthians 4:7). Another version refers to the earthen vessel as a jar of clay and the excellence of power as all-surpassing power. I confess, I like both versions. Reading 2 translations sometimes enhances meaning for me.

My first quest was to wrap my mind around "the excellence of power." When I read a different translation, it affirmed my hunch. We are talking about God's glory, His all-surpassing power, His excellence, etc. So... if my body is a jar of clay or an earthen vessel, through something I have no power over, it contains a treasure. That treasure that resides in my body is priceless. Picture a diamond, a perfect diamond, glistening in the sun as it's discovered in the earth, in the mud, say... in Africa. I can only imagine the joy of finding such a gem... wiping off the dirt, & seeing a future, hope, money, perhaps a life, a rescue.

My earthen vessel isn't so pretty. It's got some issues to say the least. It's been ravaged by chemo & bears a few scars that attest to the fact that a price has been paid in hopes of saving a life. I wear a hat or a wig. I stew about which one looks the best for the day. How ridiculous! My fingernails look so bad I wince at the sight of them.  I am in the process of being reconstructed. All in all, I just don't feel too pretty!

So... here's my thinking... the greater the toll the cancer & it's treatments take on my body, the greater the opportunity for others to see my treasure. If it weren't for cancer, my treasure would not be as noticeable. Cancer & it's treatment have opened up new avenues in life for me. My life has become very simple for now. My part in this journey is to let my body heal. Obey the doctors' orders.  Be an open book; so others can see my treasure, & it won't be mistakably accredited  to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment