Sunday, February 5, 2012

This I know...

Today is Sunday morning, the day before my big, scary surgery. A few people have dared to look into my eyes & ask me how I am doing. I try not to dwell on it because sometimes it causes my heart to race. It's easy to let your fears get out of hand at a time like this. But... then I realize, some of my loved ones truly want to know. So... this blog is for my loved one who really want to know.

My emotions come & go. People (some I am close to, & others take me by surprise) have gone out of their way to express their heartfelt love for me.  I am so NOT alone on this journey. That makes a difference. If I could actually know & count the prayers that are being said on my behalf, I would be both humbled & overwhelmed!

I am not as concerned about the lymph node count as I was, because I know God is bigger than the number that is found. I just feel sorry for my husband having to be the one to process it first & tell me.
I know tomorrow will be such a long day for my family, & I wish I could be there to comfort them. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.

A dear friend told me I will awake from surgery feeling as though an elephant is resting on my chest. I am so glad she told me this. Otherwise, I think I might have thought I was dying. I don't look forward to the first few days after surgery because I don't know how I will react to the pain. I am hoping the pain medication will work for me.

Sometimes my mind even wanders to the future. First of all, will I make it through surgery? What if something goes wrong, & I don't wake up? Secondly (after I reassure myself I will awake), comes the grave question of what will the future hold? Will this cancer return? If so, where? How will I live my life with this uncertainty? Am I capable of living with joy knowing I will be be monitored until eternity?

I can only know that God's grace will be sufficient for each day. This I know & have experienced prior to this journey. I can count on it. I know that as Jesus carried His cross, God's grace took each step with Him. He knows my path & will walk it with me. Even when my family is not near, God never leaves me. This I know...

2 comments:

  1. Susie,
    You are truly amazing and your courage to share your story and your deepest thoughts and fears is absolutely inspiring! Your unshakable faith I admire and I am in awe of, you are such an encouragement to me and so many others!
    You are an amazing woman of God, wife, mother, and friend, you are loved by so very many and have so many cheering you on and fighting beside you as you fight this battle, but most importantly you have Jesus on your side so no matter what happens you can't lose, you only have victory!!!
    I love you my sweet Susie and Rick and I and the Fab 5 will be praying for you and Rob and your beautiful family all day today and tomorrow!!!
    And don't forget our plans to jump on the trampoline this summer :)
    I Love You!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you, Susie! Thank you for sharing your unwavering faith. You are an inspiration to so many. I sat at church this morning and couldn't help but notice all the pink...tops, feathers, hair dye, and I knew it was all for you. You have touched so many lives and led so many to the feet of Jesus. He made you a blessing. Know that you and your family are being lifted up in prayer and will be all day tomorrow and throughout your recovery. You are loved!

    ReplyDelete