Thursday, March 1, 2012

beautiful women

Today I went out for pancakes with 2 precious treasures, 2 new friends. I met these 2 ladies through a mutual friend & by happenstance. Really... I don't believe in happenstance or coincidence. I know meeting up with my 2 new friends was orchestrated. God created us to need each other. I don't believe He wants us to walk through the journeys of life alone, especially this journey.

Sometimes people think they don't need other people. They shield themselves in different ways, trying to live in this world alone. Perhaps they have stuffed their emotions. Maybe they kid themselves & say they just aren't social. Some even build a shell around themselves & become masters of intimidation. Sometimes people just want to work through their problems on their own. Let's not hang out our dirty laundry. Others fear rejection & just don't want that feeling reinforced. Whatever the case, the loss is suffered.

I believe God created us to bear each others' burdens. When my loved one hurts, I hurt (& vice-versa, of course). I believe when we become unafraid to bond with others & share our struggles, something wonderful occurs: healing. Realizing that someone has walked your path before you is a good thing. Knowing that there is a name for what you are feeling is a relief. Laughing at your peculiar side effects is refreshing. Knowing that someone cares to reach out to you is comforting.

In the short time I have walked this journey, I am beginning to see a common trait in fellow breast cancer patients. Beautiful women reaching out to beautiful women. No one should walk this walk alone. A survivor wants to comfort another patient. It seems to be an instinct. Our cases may not be the same, but we share enough in common that conversation flows with ease. The fact that we only met last week doesn't seem to matter. We laughed & talked as if we'd been friends for a lifetime. We talked about cancer, but we laughed as if we were healthy.

dedicated to Theresa & Elizabeth

1 comment:

  1. Oh Susie, I am so happy for you! Having friends that can relate to what you've been through and what you're facing is a blessing. I wish I had that blessing, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

    ReplyDelete