Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Beautiful Lessons

My sleeping meds usually wear off about 2am. Frequently, I awake & enter a state of sleeplessness. As I lie in bed, I ponder my nightly issue: Should I just get up? For me trying to sleep is worse than NOT sleeping. I expected to wake up at 2am this morning because of my sad state of mind when I went to bed.

I like the peaceful hours in the middle of the night. I enjoy blogging, reading my devotion, & just reflecting on life. Sometimes God gives me some beautiful thoughts in the wee hours of the morning, thoughts I would have missed had I been sleeping. It was in the early morning hours back in August that He assured me His grace, plain & simple, was enough. That message would carry me through some of the darker moments that were to follow.

Yesterday's upheaval of my emotions quickly brought me back to those early days of my journey. In a few short words, I was reminded of my reality. Funny how it was almost like hearing my news for the first time. It also brought me back to my early lessons. These messages were meant to be engraved on my heart. These messages were for a life time, not just for my journey down Cancer Lane.


Rather ironic, that it took a fellow fighter to comfort me, to remind me that God is so much bigger than our statistics. I had been told just last Friday to get the #'s, to ask about the statistics. At least this time the #'s were clear, there was no margin for indecision. The right choice was a no brainer. My new friend listened with compassion. She laughed her unique laugh that always cheers my soul. I felt guilty for sharing my sorrows with her, for crying on her shoulder. Her story is more difficult than mine. Yet, I felt so free to have my meltdown. The minute I met her, I connected with her. We were both scheduling appointments at The Cancer Center. I immediately felt a tenderness that could only come from the Holy Spirit seeping out of her. Instant recognition: instant connection: instant friendship. I've never had a friendship begin with such ease. Thank you, Dear Friend, for reaching out to me.

Her words flowed with ease & compassion. They served as a turning point in my thinking. As she listened, I was able to process my thoughts, to figure out what just happened in that exam room. I was able to recall my early lessons. She repeated them to me without ever knowing they were my early treasures. That shouldn't be a surprise. We love the same God, & I believe He loves us both dearly. How amazing, He's given the 2 of us, on the same journey, the same beautiful lessons. As I hung up my phone, I knew I would be okay. After all, God is so much bigger than our statistics.

for: Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment