Sunday, March 18, 2012

pancakes & bird

Saint Patrick's Day was a keeper! I feel as though something is bubbling up inside of me. It has to do with excitement, feeling giddy & childlike. It's a feeling I haven't felt in a while. It's hard to put into words. I think it's called being alive. I feel as though my soul has been revived, my spirit lifted... The small joys in life make me unexplainably happy. Did I say happy? Yesterday my husband said he wanted to do whatever made me happy. I was touched by his kindness, but in my mind, I was asking...Why do I deserve such sweetness?


The day began gorgeous. This warm breezy sunshiny weather in March brings me to a place of utter contentment. I love having my windows open, hearing the birds chirping, children playing nearby, & the feeling of the warm breeze on my face. It soothes my soul. Secondly, we had the day to ourselves. Quite simply Heaven to me. It wasn't a day of big endeavors, but of small treasures, for sure.

After our trip to the vet with our beloved kitty, we indulged in one of our old-time favorites, potato pancakes, complete with butter & sour cream. There is little I can eat right now because my mouth has been badly inflamed with sores for a week. Settling on something that tasted so delicious was almost divine.  2 outings in a row is about all the excitement my body can handle at one time. So we headed home to recover.

Now we had a problem: a bird took up residence in our basement. When my husband headed down to tend to the cat, a bird flew right near his face. It came out of nowhere & caught him off guard. After googling the best way to catch the small critter, we headed downstairs with a net in hand. We were sure we had the proper equipment. After several feeble attempts, the bird found a convenient hiding place in the rafters. Even the cat was in on the fun, just trying to do her part. Finally... hours later, with the help of a blanket, a wastebasket, & a rubber made lid, we headed upstairs to set the little sparrow free. Mission accomplished. We were certainly more traumatized than the bird.

For supper, I ate the other half of my pancakes. It was corn beaf for the hubby. Yes... I am beginning to cook again. I made him a Reuben. Best part, he loved it! Occasionally, I land on something that brings back that taste his mother conjured up daily. I know adjusting to my cooking has been a mighty letdown for him over the past almost 30 years.

After supper, he uttered these words...I want to do whatever would make you happy. I'd already had a full day of happiness. What more could I ask? We loaded up Otis & headed to the dog park. He was the only dog on his side of the fence. He ran like the wind, retrieved ball after ball, & drank water like there was no tomorrow. Back into the truck he went & on to snarfing down his doggie sundae. Pure joy! All the way home, his ears blew in the wind. I could tell his joy was almost as great as mine.

As the sun set with indescribable beauty, I couldn't help but ponder a question. A friend has asked to interview me on my perspective on suffering. I sometimes don't feel I have suffered. My life is so full of joy; it's hard to see myself as a sufferer. The only way I can conclude that I have suffered is by knowing how I grieve for others who are on this journey or only beginning to embark on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment