Tuesday, March 6, 2012

that one thing...

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and lose his soul?" Jesus asked this question. Tobymac wrote a catchy song about it.  He sings the lyrics over & over, "I don't want to gain the world & lose my soul." Sometimes the things of the world don't seem so bad, do they?

I mean... is it really wrong to aspire to have friends, a cozy home, a descent car? Is it wrong to care about your reputation, what others think? Is there any harm in the image you portray on FB? What about your appearance... your weight, your clothes, your hair, etc, What about the fact that you are discontent? To what extent will you go to fill your void?

I've heard it said that a man's priorities are defined by how he spends his money. I'm always on an endless quest to find something to wear that makes me feel good. Sad fact: I spend too much time & money shopping for & returning clothes. I should be both embarrassed & concerned. What does this say about me? Not good!

I think that losing our soul has to do with idolatry. Whenever we put anything before God, we walk into a danger zone. We upset the peace in our lives & become unbalanced. It's such a difficult task to keep ourselves in check. Recognizing our weaknesses is probably the first step. Next, I think we must decide which pains us the most. Our need to have what we think we need, or our need to put God first?

So what if we never put God first? What if we just don't get it right, & we spend our whole lives losing our soul? What if we search throughout our lives for that one thing that will bring us peace, & we miss God? What if we don't stop to listen to that still small voice in our head, or we fight it, we resist it, & ... we miss God?

I am willing to say that I believe Jesus & Heaven are a package deal. You cannot have one without the other. The alternative is a gnawing emptiness & Hell, a losing of one's soul. Please, if you haven't taken a minute to consider your soul, your eternity...  I beg you, please take time to hear that still small voice calling your name.

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for putting this absolute truth out there Susie.It's easy to coast through life never really knowing the purpose for which you are created. To miss HIS promises, is to miss it all.
    I think of a song lyric playing right now myself.
    "I choose Jesus, I choose Jesus, the one who first chose me."

    ReplyDelete