Wednesday, March 21, 2012

It doesn't really matter.

I miss my hair & feeling like a normal person (not that I was ever normal). I feel as though I stick out like a sore thumb in every way.  Almost always, people stare at me through eyes of compassion. They have no desire to walk in my shoes. I understand because I remember living on their side of the fence. I remember wondering what someone in my shoes felt. I think back to how I wondered what they'd endured. I even remember fearing I would become them.

I've never felt like I was stunning. I've always been okay with my appearance. If it weren't for my unruly hair, I would have been able to go unnoticed in a crowd. I liked it that way. I don't think my worth was caught up in my looks, but maybe I am kidding myself. I know I didn't like it when my hair got too crazy, my clothes didn't fit right, etc. As I reached midlife, it became more difficult to maintain my weight. I know that bothered me deeply.

I remember coming across a quote one day that is worth savoring for a life time: As a woman's outward beauty fades, her inner beauty becomes more radiant. I hope this is how my husband sees me. Honestly, right now in my current state, it's hard for me to see myself as beautiful from anyone's point of view.  However, I look at other cancer patients, & I see pure beauty. Strange how our minds work.

I know I have an emotional challenge raging within me. I am struggling with my new body, what to wear, impatience with my lack of hair, & the next phase of this journey. I wish I could say I am comfortable in my own skin, but that would be a lie. The best I can do is ignore my feelings, try to focus on others, & enjoy each day. Loved ones seem to be the best medicine for my current mind set.

I also feel guilt for this state I've allowed to grab my heart. I like to be a bright person, & I don't like dwelling here. It makes me feel ungrateful. I prefer to be grateful. It makes me feel self-absorbed. I love caring for others. I find it unproductive, spinning my wheels. It's certainly not helpful for my own peace of mind (or those around me).

I think it is time for me to grasp the truth & let go of what doesn't matter. I do this on a daily basis, but lately it settles in like a dense fog. Right now, I can do my part to regain my health, but I am powerless to make my hair come back faster. My body has changed. All I can do is dress appropriately. It's hard to figure out what works... which brings me back to the fact: it doesn't really matter.


3 comments:

  1. Susie I think women generally stress over these issues on and off all of their lives. When a cancer diagnosis forces these things to a whole other level with all the other changes as well it's so understandable that you would feel like this. In the big picture as you shared, it doesn't matter, but I think it's just part of being a women. And this is coming from a women who covers her gray hair regularly, and obsesses over a number on the scale far too much.
    Your quote was so right on. I have another that I'd like to share.
    "The beauty of a women is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides."
    I want to remind you. Your eyes sparkle sweet lady. That's something money can't buy. Or in the words of a song from Rod Stewart,"You wear it well!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are soo in my prayers! I've been following your story lately...Thank you for the blessing and encouragement you have been to my life. God puts trials in our lives, whether we think they are big or small...but living them out to the fullest of claiming Christ, will get us through! Love ya.

      Prayers,
      Erika Childs

      Delete
  2. Susie, I just want you to know that when I looked at you across the table yesterday I saw many things -- love (of your daughters, your husband, your friends, God and Otis); strength; compassion; sparkling eyes (to steal from above) and yes, true beauty. Your beauty radiates from your head to your toes. And, also from the adorable hat you wore!! I can only hope that if I were ever to be in your shoes, I could be as gracious, as interesting, as fun and as upbeat as you are. You are a joy to be around and I can't wait until our next outing!!! Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete