Friday, March 16, 2012

Hair...

This morning when I looked in the mirror I had to chuckle. Spring is in the air, & my hair is in full bloom. My hair has always been one of my defining features. For those of you who don't know me... my brown curly hair had a mind of its own.  I would attempt to style it each morning. By the time I reached the main floor of my home, it had completely rearranged itself. My children could always find me in a crowd. My husband loved to tease me about my Brillo Pad. I never wore it up, & I never wore a hat.

Obviously, things have changed. I still don't wear it up, but I have a few favorite hats. One of my biggest struggles with cancer has been the loss of my hair. I will always remember my oncologist  emphatically saying, "Shave it off, just shave it off!" So... a few weeks after my first treatment, I waited for my college daughter to come home, & she, her middle sister, & her close friend shaved my head. I was more concerned about the impact on my daughters than myself. Our hearts knew it didn't hold that much importance when put in perspective with my life.

Immediately, my husband & daughters relieved my fears. They told me I had a cute head. I was stunned. I was not expecting such a response. Each day when my husband came home from work, I would rest my bald head on his chest, & he would rub my head. I found this ritual very comforting. Even though my family loved my bald head, I always wore my wig. After my 4th treatment, I began to think that I should wear my my hat in public rather than my wig. I felt it was more authentic & part of embracing my journey. I don't know why, but wearing my hat to church for the first time was a big deal for me.

The most difficult part of losing my hair has been my physical comfort. I have had a terrible time regulating my body temperature. My head gets very cold, & then suddenly sickeningly hot. Head pieces make me fidgety. Anything slightly tight on my head hurts or gives me a headache. Sporting a new head covering always takes all of the courage I have. And, when I'm out in public, I just can't bring myself to expose my baldness. So... when I become overheated, I just wait it out miserably.

As I inspected my sprouting hair this morning, I had to wonder how it will return. It is not the same color, & it's straight. It no longer feels like a Brillo Pad. It's soft. It's only 1/2 inch long, so it might be too early to tell. I have to marvel at how much this whole hair ordeal mimics the cancer ordeal. Losing your hair prepares you for other changes just around the corner. People say, It's only temporary. I did not find those words comforting. In my case, it's coming back with a different twist (as is my future). I believe my hair has a future, but it's going to take some adaptation (as is my life). My perspective has changed. I don't see life the same, but that's a new blog waiting for another sleepless night.


2 comments:

  1. Susie I do remember watching someone I love as his hair grew back after chemo. The once straight and thin hair was replaced with thick and wavy hair. I couldn't help but notice that what had really changed by the different stages of his cancer was not as much physical to me, as emotional, and spiritual. I also realize now, that I to had changed.
    I believe I prayed more, and still do.
    I appreciated things that once I may have not even noticed.
    For me, it was an awakening, realizing that just like the seasons, or our newly empty nest, that change like it or not, good, or bad will come.
    I clung to the only thing I knew would never change, Jesus, and the Hope I have in Him.
    I shared that TRUTH daily with the man I married who was not so sure about my TRUTHS or my Jesus.
    Over this time so many more things changed. Our marriage grew, our FAITH grew, and I grew.
    This April we will likely see our oncologist for the last time. Yes praise God we are six years cancer free. I say we, only because it really has felt like a we journey.
    Some things are back to normal, his hair for one, is again thin, and straight, and their are days I clearly don't get his opinions or agree with them. I guess that's the when I chuckle the most to myself. That's when I realize some things, well, they just never change.
    Susie, your beautiful, and inspiring blog, I know it is changing those of us who read it. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete