Saturday, March 17, 2012

"Little Ball of Fur"

Kitty is not doing well. She's 17, & her health is declining. We have a decision ahead of us... We took her to the vet this morning to see if there is anything to be done. We are awaiting blood work before making our decision. Having a beloved pet put to rest is never an easy situation. Sometimes, your answer is crystal clear, but usually, it involves emotional anguish.

We rescued "Kit" from an animal shelter. She was found on the motor of a car. I remember the day I took my 3 little girls to see her. She was to be our middle daughter's birthday present, but truly adopted for the whole family to enjoy. Our little girl was turning 6, & this was a pretty big deal. She would get to chose her name & be her Mama.

This pretty little kitty has lived through almost 3 dogs  ("Dolly," "Lester," & now "Otis"). She has brought much laughter to our home. She has also brought a sense of security to our daughters. I will never forget the time I neglected to pick up my youngest from school. I came rushing home with a pit in my stomach, only to find my little girl sitting in Daddy's chair hugging kitty for dear life. I think at that moment, I realized the value of our small feline friend.

"Kit" has grieved the loss of 3 girls. As each grew up & left our nest, she had one less person to pester. She had one less person with hair to bite. Her funniest moment was the day she rubbed against the garbage & secured a sticky wrapper to her bottom. She took off like a shot cat & ran at top speed in & out the pet door, up & down & all around all 3 floors of our house. We were all laughing so hard, we were crying.

"Kit" always took her time deciding if her canine siblings were acceptable. She & "Dolly" were frequently found lying tail to tail on the antique bed. I don't think "Lester" ever made the cut. When I became sick, she must have understood. She has spent every day since August curled up on the couch next to me. Her favorite past time is taunting "Otis." She loves to smack his face with her paws. He doesn't even flinch! Gazing out the window (tracking birds) is also her hobby. Watching her  golden eyes dart from side to side is quite fascinating.

Whatever our decision, she will be remembered & loved for a lifetime. She has been a long chapter in our lives. She has seen us through heartaches, surgeries, weddings, & so much more. She has been a distraction & a comfort. She has been there in the quiet times. Like every pet, if she could talk, she would tell some stories. Her affection for me is both undeserved & touching. This "little ball of fur" has found a place in each of hearts, & it is there she will remain through eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment