Sunday, May 20, 2012

cinnamon toast & Ninja Turtles

Reminiscing has its value. I spent a few hours today with my beloved mom sharing memories from the past. My oldest daughter said it best, "This has been quite entertaining." Honestly, I wish the day could have lasted twice as long. My mom is 82 now. Hearing her spontaneously crack a joke & laugh like there is no tomorrow warms my heart.

I loved having my daughters hear her take on life. She was a sweet grandma to them growing up. They affectionately called her Nana. She would have given her right arm for them. She buttered them countless pieces of cinnamon toast. She was always on their side. I'm surprised she didn't wear a hole in the highway coming to see them in their special events when they were little.

She always took time to get to know their passions. She learned all the Ninja Turtle's names. She lovingly came to babysit when needed. Fixing their hair was not her strength, but that didn't keep her from trying. When they misbehaved & fought, she pretended not to notice. I don't know how she didn't lose her mind when we came to visit.

She's the one they called when they lost a tooth. Birthdays & Christmases were extra special because of her. She always knew their report card grades & loved reading them bedtime stories. When they needed to interview someone for a history lesson, she got the honor. She secretly cried for them when they broke up with their boyfriends. When they were sick or in surgery, she was a phone call away.

The best thing she gave them was her affection, her undivided attention. From the day they were born, she loved them & bonded with them. She taught me how to care for them. She gave us all the gift of spontaneity & laughter. Today, as we reminisced, I couldn't help but treasure every word she spoke, every chuckle she shared, every sparkle of her eyes. I felt like today was a bonus day, a day for my daughters to see my mother's character, to see what makes her tick. I thank God for today & for every day spent with this precious soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment