Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"dirt & worms"

2 of my daughters & I visited one of my long-time favorites today, The Ice-Cream Shack in Sunnyland. I had a special treat, a pepsi with shaved ice. I know I'm unique, but shaved ice is something I love. One daughter had a Puppy Chow Wizard & the other, a cookie dough sundae. Sadly, we didn't have our dogs. They would have ordered doggie sundaes, complete with dog biscuits. It's a beautiful day, so we sat outside & enjoyed our deliciousness.

The Ice-Cream Shack has been a part of my family's lives for years. We've joyfully celebrated many of our accomplishments there. It was the perfect place to take small children. They could run & play in the grass while we sat & chatted. As their ice-cream dripped down their chins, their smiles always made our celebration the best. I remember a stage when  "dirt & worms" was the only thing that would do. Over time, we graduated to other things like turtle sundaes & fancy wizards. Their cheese fries have always been the best in town, but for me... it's the pretzel with cheese.

My husband & I (& our pooch) have a standing date there on Sunday nights when the weather is good. Our dog even recognizes the words "Ice-Cream Shack" & begins drooling at the very sound of his favorite phrase. One of us has to sit with him while the other orders, as his exuberance is too much. We also have to let him eat his doggie sundae first, if we hope to be able to taste our own treats.

As we savor the taste of our desserts, we reminisce about the past, how we used to go there after swim meets & how the kids used to run races around the big tree. It's a place to build relationship, a place to relax & enjoy, a lil get-a-way for a tasty snack. A few weeks ago, the owner asked me if they could take donations in my honor for The Race for The Cure. I was stunned to think that someone would do that for me.

Yesterday, she put out a can with my picture on it & is accepting donations for my team, for my cause. As I've said from the start, this journey has treasures to be found along the way. Some of the young adults that work there are my former youth (from my youth leader days). The owners & the young workers have agreed to wear pink in my honor on Saturday. I couldn't be more honored. My favorite place is wearing pink for me & celebrating my life, honoring my cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment