Monday, May 28, 2012

Uncle Walt

Today, we remember... and I must take time to reflect on the life of a man who impacted my life many times over. I believe he was a part of my life from the day I was born until the day he passed into the glorious gates of Heaven where he truly belongs. He is my beloved Uncle Walt. He served in the Navy, so this being Memorial Day, I thought I'd take a moment to blog about not only my favorite uncle, but one of my favorite people in life.

Uncle Walt brought joy to every occasion. I don't believe he took life (or himself) too seriously, yet at the same time, he had a deep respect for life & others (if that makes sense). He even saved my life a few times as a child. The one instance I will never forget took place on Thanksgiving Day. I'm thinking I was about 16, but I could have been a bit older. For some silly reason (unbeknownst to myself even now), I decided to fling ice-cream on my spoon across the living room. Of all things, it landed right between my dad's eyes.

I was stunned speechless. I think we all were. My dad, of course, was wiping the ice-cream from his brow, deciding how he would handle such humiliation. Uncle Walt saved the day with his laughter. I somehow escaped retribution, & I know I owe it all to Uncle Walt. As a child, I always knew I could look to him to cheer me up. He always had a kind word, a silly little joke, or  knuckle rub for my head. He always cared about what I had to say & reacted in a way which I knew I was heard.

He & my dad were good friends. He was good for my dad. When my dad's temper would boil, Uncle Walt had a way of seeing the humor in whatever the case & would often help him simmer down. They had a brotherly bond, & were always there for each other. He was our family barber. He gave good advice on managing money as he was an accountant. He did the treasury books for many years for his church. He was an active Lion's Club member. He was a faithful man.

He loved his precious wife, my beloved Aunt Betty, & that was always apparent. I think he always made her laugh too. They married young & had 2 beautiful daughters. He was my mom's little brother & her best friend. Just recently, I asked her who her best friend was, & she said her brother, Walter. She adored her little brother, & I don't think she's been the same since he left this earth. A piece of her heart was forever taken that day.

Uncle Walt is missed for many reasons. His joy overflowed. He knew how to connect with people & to read them. He was perceptive & never thought too highly of himself. He was a confident man & that came across in how he treated others, with love & respect. He didn't do things for show but rather because he was gifted in certain areas & could offer his expertise. He had a good sense of what made others tick. Occasionally, he'd take just a little joy in pushing their buttons. However, he knew when to back off, & his timing was everything.

I can't help but smile as I remember him. His presence represented a sense of security & a sense of fun. He enjoyed the simple things in life, mainly his family. I have a feeling he found a special place in each person's heart he knew, as he has mine. I believe his greatest strengths were his sense of humor, his interactions with others, & his love for his family & friends. I am so glad I got to be his niece, to grow up across the street from him, & to have him teach me not to take life (or myself) too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment