Thursday, May 24, 2012

Normally I would throw my hands up in the air & shout.

Today, a very dear friend took me to radiation, yes... my last radiation. She prayed for me before & during the session. When I came out, we celebrated with smiles & hugs. I laughed because normally I would throw my  hands up in the air & shout "WooHoo", but today, I couldn't do either. I can't shout because I have no voice (from my cold), & I can't throw my hands up because my skin is too sore. We thought about a happy dance, but in all honesty, I have 2 left feet. So... just overflowing with thankfulness would be the best celebration for today. And that, we couldn't stop! It was spontaneous, from the heart, & like a waterfall.

How blessed I was to have a caring friend with me. She sat through another doctor appointment with me. I always love hearing her "take" on what the doctor says. He looked at my awful skin today & marveled at his handiwork. I truly have never seen him smile so big. He raved in his own quiet way how the soreness of my skin was just what he hoped to see. I guess I can only be thankful for my ouchies. As for my friend, she seemed to be fascinated with the joy he found in my pain. He did apologize for hurting me, but I think his joy ran as deep as my pain.

Afterwards, we headed for some lunch. Even though my voice is gone, I didn't want to miss out on conversation with my beautiful friend. I would figure out a way to communicate. I've had some things on my mind, & I really wanted her opinion. Somehow, I managed to get my words out, & through her, I found the peace I was seeking. She validated my feelings, & that's all I needed. Now, I am ready to move on...

So, as my hair grows back in, I rejoice. The curl is even coming back. No more hats! It's time for the body to heal. I have Herceptin treatments to endure through October, but they are pretty mild. So... where do I go from here? Truth is, I don't know. I don't know how to resume life after a cancer diagnosis & 9 months of concentrated treatments. Some moments, I'm still in shock. It's still surreal. This wasn't supposed to happen to me. Apparently, I had that part wrong. It has happened, & I believe I rest more in the palm of God's hand than I ever have. I think I will just take one step at a time, & see where we (He & I) end up.

Dedicated: to Vicki

No comments:

Post a Comment