Thursday, May 3, 2012

President Obama & I have something in common.

The sun came out today on more than one count.  As I mentioned yesterday, my dear friend who is also fighting cancer is in the hospital with complications. I went to see her & was so relieved to see her feeling better. She has been on my mind, & I have been grieved for her. We talked about the horrors of our disease & how the side effects of the treatments are as bed if not worse than the disease. She asked me what the big mark on my neckline was, & she laughed her beautiful laugh when I told her it was the state of Illinois. Every day, I get marked at radiation, & it looks like the state of Illinois. I have no idea what it really is...

This morning, I said good-bye to the nurse who has cared for me the most at radiation. She has taken time to warm the wet rags that are daily laid upon my skin. She ties my gown for me everyday since my neuropathy hinders my dexterity (especially when I can't see what I'm doing). Every day, she asks me how I'm feeling, what my plans are. And... she remembers my answers. When I forget to put my arms above my head or follow the drill, she gently reminds me. She will be missed as she begins her new life. She was my ray of sunshine.

My daughter & I took her puppy on a short walk. The dog's personality is as darling as his looks. We went to lunch at the restaurant where her husband works, & he was our waiter. The salad I ordered was incredible & the service was the best! After that, we bummed around the mall & laughed at our own silly jokes. Spending time with her always brightens my day & makes me laugh. She is my nurse, but the best medicine of all is her funny personality.

I showed her my hair. She says it's intense. I think it looks just like President Obama's. We have the same doo. I will be very happy when I have bangs again. I do not know what to do about my new color & its intensity. God certainly has a sense of humor. It is shiny, soft, & silver. I look more like my mother every day. Only difference, she wears it better with her sparkly blue eyes.

Last night as I followed my husband up to bed, I laughed so hard I cried. It was just another silly joke, but it felt so good to laugh uncontrollably. Today, every time I thought about it, I chuckled in my own head. It's good to be enjoying life in spite of today's circumstances. It's good to feel light hearted & silly again. I don't know exactly why my joy is overflowing, but it feels good to be happy. It reminds me of a time not so long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment