Saturday, June 9, 2012

Don't get ahead of yourself.

This morning my baby  (she's 20 years old) arrived safely in South Africa! She will be working through a ministry to share God's love with orphans and street kids for the next 2 months. Getting her off turned out to be quite an ordeal (for her & me both). Everything I didn't want to happen, happened in the last few hours we spent with her. Needless to say, she takes after me.

As we were in route to the beginning part of her journey, she fell apart. I think months of fear, anxiety, & being stretched were just too much to bear any longer. Her threshold was weakened, & there it all was, laid out before me. I can't say any of it surprised me or that I didn't even see this as a possibility. I did. But still... in the midst of it, I asked God to help me be strong for her. I also asked Him for the right words. I really didn't have the right words as I, myself, had a weakened threshold too...

As always, God provides. He held me together with only a few tears, & I was grateful for the truths He planted in my heart, both for her & for me. His words seemed to calm her heart in her storm. It wasn't until this morning, however, that I realized His words were meant for my journey too. Yesterday I blogged about living with uncertainty. Today I must claim the words given to me for my beloved daughter.

Take one step at a time. Focus on today, & don't get ahead of yourself. Live in the moment of each day, not tomorrow's moment. Wow! What sound advice. This morning, as I received word that she arrived safely in South Africa, I could only be grateful. I am grateful for her safe arrival. I am grateful that she found the courage to take her long awaited trip. I am grateful for what God will do in & through her on this trip. I can't wait to hear.

The last 2 hours I spent with her were truly 2 of the most difficult hours in my life. It was a culmination of so much. The ride home was even worse. Now, almost a week later, I already see evidence of God working in her & through her. I also sense His hand on me. We walk this walk together in life. Our hearts are sometimes ripped from our souls, & the rebound is painful. However, when the quiet comes... the peace is as pretty as a vibrant sunset on a peaceful shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment