Saturday, June 16, 2012

in sickness & in health...

Today my high school sweetheart & I celebrated 28 years of marriage. Our anniversary is actually tomorrow, but since it's Father's Day, we celebrated a day early. We met the summer before our freshman year at a carwash. I remember it as if it were yesterday. We immediately connected, but it would be a while before our courting days officially began...

We spent our first year flirting in Freshman Biology. Even thought the class did not get along with me, it was worth it because I got to see him. I sat right behind him. Those were the days when I used to ride my bike by his house, hoping he would be outside shooting hoops. Our first date wasn't until our sophomore year, Homecoming. I had actually turned another guy down, telling him I was waiting for a certain someone to ask me. My best friend had assured me he would.

A few funny things happened that night. He didn't realize he had a price tag on his pant leg, & I was too shy to tell him. We got locked out of our car, no fault of his or mine. The waiters at the restaurant became very irate with our classmates because they did not leave a tip. The best part was when he walked me to the door & kissed me on the cheek. That little kiss sent me to the moon. I ran in the house, threw myself on the couch (formal dress & all), & squealed with uncontrollable joy.

As time went on, he courted me. He became my best friend. He bought me a music box that played "Weekend in New England." For Valentine's Day, he gave me a pretty gold heart locket. We used to go to the beach together. We'd order big sub sandwiches & have our own little picnic. We canoed down the Des Plaines. We fought. We played. We laughed. We cried. We made each other's day, & sometimes we made each other cry.

After 7 years of courtship (minus the year we were apart), we became man & wife. We were young. We were kind of dumb, but we were in love, for sure. We started our family with our first dog (bought with wedding gift money), & 6 months later, we were expecting the first of our 3 precious daughters. As the years went by, we suffered heartaches & celebrated our greatest moments.  Some seasons were really hard, but through it all, we loved each other & cared deeply for one another. Putting the other person first was always our way.

So now, 28 years later... for better, for worse,  for richer, for poorer, in sickness, & in health has  whole new meaning. Even though we've been each other's best friend now for almost 35 years, our life has been turned upside down. Yes, we are walking this road together & that is how it will be. Some days are bleak, but even in our bleakness, we have each other. I wouldn't want to walk this walk with anybody else. I couldn't.

Today started off just a little sad. We stuck with our plan & kept our dinner reservation. Something happened during our time together. Our hearts were touched. We smiled. We laughed. We had the time of our lives. On the way home, I could feel God's presence. He gave me this message: Even though today had it's sorrow, it ended with so much happiness. Hang on for the ride of your life. You will have moments of sorrow, but your joy will exceed anything the 2 of  you have yet to experience. Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment