Saturday, June 30, 2012

I didn't see it coming...

Today I was remembering a sermon I heard from Pastor Deveraux Hubbard about 5 years ago. He affirmed something I already new but couldn't put into words. He said that when we serve, we serve without discrimination & without guarantee.  At the time, I was a youth leader, & his words had great meaning for me. Sometimes when we serve, we pick & choose who it is we'd like to help, & we expect something in return.

I think it is enough just to know that anything of eternal value never comes back void. When we step up to help someone, the outcome should not be our measure of success, rather the seeds that have been planted. God does the miracle. We just provide the heart, the hands, & the feet. Today is one of the happiest days I've had since my diagnosis.

I didn't see it coming... We took a little seven year old boy to VBS, & at the end, he asked Jesus into his heart. I am sure that he doesn't completely understand what he just did, anymore than an adult fully comprehends Christ. This side of Heaven, I don't think we will ever understand the "whole picture."

Childlike faith, I believe is the most pure, & it is the kind of faith God wants us to have. If only we all could believe with the simplicity of a child, no strings attached. Every stone does not have to be turned. A seven year old child can just believe.

I know that this child will have difficulties in life (as does every child). This world is a tough place to live, & the older I get, the more aware I become of how broken it is.  Today, in his unaware childlike state, he made the best decision of his life. Will it stick? My pastor says that if a person comes to Christ with a sincere heart, it's forever, even when we doubt. This comforts me.


No comments:

Post a Comment