Wednesday, June 20, 2012

What do I have to offer?

Tonight we met with some new friends. We are on the same journey, just at different places. As I contemplated this meeting, in all fairness, I had to ask myself... What do I have to offer? I'm about 7 months ahead of her but still in the mending phase. I'd like to think I've settled into my new norm, but honestly, that's not the case.  I still have my daily struggles & side effects which I've complained about far too much.  I'm sure the world has tired of hearing my woes.

Truth is... today was a really fun day! My middle daughter & I sorted through 4 boxes of wedding photos. We giggled & sorted. It was like Cold Stone Creamery. We had 3 piles: Like It, Love It, & Gotta Have it. Upon my husband's suggestion, we added a pile of absolutely not. Her wedding came at a difficult time, or should I say... my cancer came at a difficult time. As she said today, "There is no good time for caner."

Today gave me hope because spending time with her makes me laugh. Laughing is good for the soul. Laughing makes me know that there is joy even in the midst of trials. As I shared with our new friends tonight... cling to anything positive that happens on this journey. Hold onto what is good, whether big or small. Treasures will be found. Daily life will have more meaning. There are 2 kinds of hope. One holds out for things to get better, the other hope is in the Lord. One is uncertain, & the other cannot be stripped out from under us.

We had a beautiful evening. I probably talked way to much, but I instantly felt comfortable with this kind couple. It was easy to answer her questions, but I can only hope my answers eased her mind. I was honest, even when the picture wasn't pretty. I assured her that her picture would have its ups & downs & be her own story. I think she could see that I have reached my lowest of lows on this journey, but still I rest in the palm of God's hand.

I told her that my faith was really all I have to offer. It is my anchor that has brought me through each day. I had to truthfully admit that I lost my hope through a few painful days. I encouraged her to let people pamper her & care for her. I shared with her that kindness had also helped sustain me. I have found new joy in the simple things in my life. I wanted to tell her the journey would get easier, but I'm just not there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment