Monday, June 18, 2012

Portrait of a Great Man:

                                               
He keeps his feet planted firmly on the ground so that his children have room to soar / He holds his arms out wide so that they always have a safe place to land / And even if he doesn't know it at the time, he's the one who teaches them how to fly / Happy Father's Day to a man who makes an incredible difference in the lives of others.


I ran across this card the other day while shopping for a Father's Day card. I love it when I am able to find just the right card for the one I love. My husband is not a perfect man, but he is a great man. As time evolves (which it has a way of doing), I am able to see his impact, his handprint, on them more clearly with each new stage of life. Had our daughters been raised by s single mother, I think of the pieces they would be missing.

I am so inept at certain things in life. For example, if it has to do with numbers or financial understanding, they would be sunk. I am a poor example in this department. I think of all the papers he proofread for them over the years. I love to write, but when it comes to critiquing, I'm too inaccurate. I apparently missed out on some grammar rules. He has taught them all to be good writers. I'm in awe.

Over the years, he's worked hard, even when his job was filled with uncertainties. In his profession, the turn over rate can be high. Bosses, ownership, & formats come & go. He has had to prove himself many times over, & somehow kept his own 2 feet secure. He could have chosen a larger market, but he was willing to stay put for me (& for his girls). Having anxiety, I could never accept moving with grace (just another one of my shortcomings). I guess sacrifice is what I gratefully received.

He's always listened to each of us. That's quite a feat since he has been surrounded by females his whole adult life (even the cat & the dog for many years). I know he has felt outnumbered, but he has never complained or wished for something he didn't have. Many times he's had to think for the 2 of us. I find it hard enough to think for myself, let alone another adult.

One of his abilities I've been most thankful for through the years is how he makes us laugh. He makes us laugh in good times & in bad. When our teenage daughters experienced a tragedy... when a boy hurt their feelings... when they didn't make a play or do well in a competition, he could always cheer them up. Usually he did this by writing them a funny & ridiculous little song about their heartache. Our tears would turn into uncontrollable giggles, & suddenly life could continue.

Over the years we haven't always been on the same page. For one thing, we are man & woman. Secondly, our backgrounds are vastly different. Lastly, we are opposites. Learning to see things through each other's eyes has always been a challenge. Sometimes we get better at this, but we will always remain a mystery to each other. I think that's how it's supposed to be.

We each have our place in our daughter's lives. I am grateful that we've been able to nurture them & raise them together, filling in the gaps for each other. My heart goes out to single parents. I would have failed on my own. Also, our daughters would have been robbed of their Daddy teaching them to fly. His perspective has always been more whole & longterm than mine. I've lived more in the moment.

Recently, when our youngest (our 20 year old) left for South Africa, she & I were both distraught. If it weren't for him, I'm not sure she would be in South Africa now. He had the right words. I had tears. So... away she flew, & now she's soaring. In a few months, she'll  fly home & land temporarily in her safe place. Then... off she'll go again. As for us, I'll be crying, & he'll be hugging her & waving good-bye. He'll be singing her a little rhyme & instilling confidence in her soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment