Thursday, June 21, 2012

Perspective

I believe it's important to have a grateful heart. I've always tried to instill that in my children. I believe a grateful heart is reflected in ones' disposition, relationships, demeanor ... Being grateful doesn't mean we will never be sad or hurt. It doesn't mean we are putting on a facade of joyfulness. It just means we don't take our blessings for granted. It effects our perspective, how we treat others, what we say to ourselves... I believe it's also a sign of humility. It requires that we don't live with expectations of entitlement or guarantee. It effects how we love & how we serve.

It's strange, but I have known 2 people recently who have gone to Africa & reported the same observation. They both are amazed at how little the people in Africa have, but their level of contentment soars above that of most Americans. They are the happiest, most joyful people on this earth. So I am told.

So many people in Africa have so little. Many of them live in fear. Children often are raised by their siblings (who are children themselves). Often, grandparents raise their grandchildren. The poverty level is great. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that in spite of all their difficulties, they have genuinely grateful hearts.

I think we Americans have so much to learn from them. Many of us have a roof over our head. We are entitled to an education. We have food, clothing, clean water, medical care, technology, & so much more. I somehow doubt that our fears our on the same level as their fears. Yes... we have our worries, but I'm not sure they are comparable.

Yet, with all that we have, we lack contentment. We want what we don't have. We strive for things that don't matter. We seek fulfillment in things that do not satisfy our souls. I am as guilty as the next person. I am discontent with things about myself. I sometimes live my life spinning my wheels, failing to put my energy in what really matters. Instead, I waste it on foolishness.

Today, I want to take time to count my blessings. My friend told me that she is keeping a gratitude journal. She says it keeps her positive. Taking time to hold on to the good in life is essential to gratefulness. Recognizing that the Lord gives, & the Lord takes away teaches us to hold on loosely to what matters most in our lives, knowing that ultimately, each day is a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment