Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bendability...

Have you ever had something in your life that stood for more than just itself? Maybe it reminded you of something significant in your life, something you hoped to never forget. Of course, it could have been a constant reminder of something you'd like to forget.  Bella, my cat, serves as an ever present reminder of my husband's caring nature. Like myself, he is not purrfect, but he is pliable.

By that I mean his heart is soft. He wants to know if he is off & how I feel about our decisions. He doesn't want to wake up at the end of his life & find out he shortchanged our marriage. I, too, don't want to reach the end of my life & find out what people really thought of me. I don't want to live my life thinking one thing only to find out I had it all wrong.

I don't want to find out that I put my faith in something or someone that was concocted. I don't want to think someone forgave me for an offense & then held a grudge. I would hate to think that I forgave someone but secretly remained bitter. I really hope that I will be remembered for trying to love the Lord with my whole heart. That has been my daily prayer since I was a little girl.

Today as I was driving, I saw my oldest daughter's  grade school principal walking hand in hand with his beloved. They are each others' best friend. I stared at them & admired their sweetness. That is what I want for us: to remain safe in each others' arms. I think that is what makes Bella so special to me. She symbolizes love.

True love, I believe, puts the other person first. That's what my husband did for me. He did not want a cat. That was clear: we were done with cats. He has caught a little flack for giving in to me. He has been told that most married men don't change their minds. When they make a decision, it sticks.  I realize I did not put my husband first. Instead I asked him to put my desires before his own.

I knew I was selfish, but I felt as though we would not regret our decision. I felt God lead me to her, & I wanted my husband to bend. I knew he would, & I let him. Some say, "He caved in" as if it's a sin for a man to change his mind. I don't see it that way at all. I see bendability  as a great strength & an asset to our marriage. We have a Father in heaven who loves us lavishly. I believe that is how we are to love one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment