Saturday, April 21, 2012

...beyond our wildest dreams

An interesting question came my way today. My husband asked me what I saw ahead for us, once this chapter is closed (or at least my treatment is complete). It's hard for me to imagine such a day, although I know it's just around the corner come Fall, with possibly a few added tweaks to my surgery. I asked him how he meant the question. Did he mean it as in our daily life style or as in planning a trip?

We'd both love to take a trip, but I gathered he was more meaning our daily life. Of course, I don't really know. We were kind of stuck in this spot before my diagnosis. We were dreaming about our future plans, & then suddenly, everything was put on hold. So... when he asked me that same question today, it took me back a few months prior to the beginning of this journey.

I do remember those days... We had just taken a cruise to see our (now) son-in-law perform on a big ship. It was like a second honeymoon, so much fun! He bought me a beautiful midnight blue sparkly ring, just because I liked it. We spent hours sitting in a giant basket chair on the deck beneath a full moon. I remember it like it was yesterday. The warm breeze blew, & we were literally in our own little world. It was a moment to savor, & I did.

It was that night he bought me the pretty ring. It certainly wasn't the most expensive ring on the ship, but I'm sure it had the most meaning behind it. Just pure love, that's all. Little did I know that in just a month, I would shutter at the thought of that trip. I would visit my photo album & cry at how my life had changed. I had no idea what lay ahead of me, of us.

Today, I could only respond with these words: All I know is if we have each other, we will be happy. That's it; that's the truth. We don't need an RV to travel the world. We don't need a lake house. We might enjoy those things, but it's okay not to have the answers. If we have each other, we will be blessed beyond our wildest dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment