Thursday, April 19, 2012

moment of truth

I believe it's how we act in a crisis that determines our character. When the rug is swept out from under us, it's what comes out of our mouth that determines who we are. It's easy to behave when the "going is good." It's no problem to be kind when others treat us with compassion. When we get our way, we tend to be in a good mood.

What happens when we don't get the desire of our heart? What if someone undermines us, or it seems that the wrong thing is rewarded? What if the kid that cheats becomes Valedictorian? When we hear what others are saying behind our back, how do we respond? If we aren't blessed with the miracle we prayed for, how do we live our life?

Tonight on American Idol, the unexpected happened. Kolton Dixon prematurely went home. He had one off night, & that was it, he was done. Unlike others who have gone home on Idol in previous seasons, Kolton apologized for not being himself last night. He then got on his knees & respectfully sang, "You're all I need" to his Heavenly Father. Who is Kolton Dixon? When his moment of truth came, he answered.

There have been others such as Rachel Scott who lost her life in Columbine but first delivered the right answer. I've always wondered... if I met my moment of truth, would I give the right answer? If my healing doesn't occur this side of Heaven, will I live each day with gratefulness? If I have to suffer more than I can bear, will I hold tight to my faith?

Truth is... I will only know the answer to these questions when my moment of truth comes. I believe it is good to prepare myself to face this moment. It is inevitable, we will all face this moment. It's not if; it's when. It's how. I met a fellow cancer fighter a few days ago. I asked him  if this journey gets easier.  He said he wished he could say it did, but honestly no, it doesn't. He went on to say that he is afraid he has a false sense of security. He is feeling good right now. He lost his friend to the same illness in just 3 days.

So my challenge for today is this: live life to the full regardless of the news I receive. Love others as deeply as possible. That way, if I am not healed this side of Heaven, I will have made the most of each day. Seek every opportunity to share the love of Jesus in every way possible. That means in word & in action, without judgement of others. My Pastor once said, "Those who love to love, live to love." My goal is to live to love.

1 comment:

  1. Susie what beautiful thoughts and words to ponder.
    To be identified in Christ , whether day to day moments, or like Kolton, in that, one big moment. We all have the choice, and the opportunities are endless, from sunrise to sunset.
    Thank-you for being a Son reflector, filled with so much love, it's overflowing. <3

    ReplyDelete