Monday, April 23, 2012

straws & faith

So here's what was said to me in a restaurant a few days ago... I ordered ice tea & water. The waitress did not give me a straw. So... I asked her for one. She offered me 1 or 2. I asked her for 2, one for each glass. In return, she lectured me on recycling. She said straws were a luxury, & furthermore, she couldn't understand why anyone needed a straw. She then went on to say that people waste plastic bags all the time by only putting one grocery item in them. By the time she finished, I regretted having ever asked for a straw. I wished I'd just sipped right out of my glass. Oh well... hind sight is always 20/20.

It reminded me of an incident that happened months ago in my favorite department store. I was returning an item. Their policy is no hassle returns. This woman (behind the customer service counter) began sniffing my item of clothing. I was like... really? I inquired as to why she was sniffing my return item. Her answer: "You wouldn't believe what people try to return." Okay, I admit it; I was offended.

I'm not sure if I am just in a place in my life right now, a place where I get slapped in the face regularly with circumstances out of my control, slapped in the face with the unexpected. Maybe I need to get a life? Seriously, both of these situations caught me off guard & troubled me. I find it inappropriate to lecture a person on recycling for requesting 1 straw for each drink. I also find it inappropriate to sniff a customer's clothing upon return. Is it just me? Am I too sensitive?

As I laugh at these situations now, I must ask myself: Do I do the same to other people? I certainly hope I don't. That kind of treatment of another person elicits a response that makes one feel small. It's degrading & unnecessary. I have to apply this same "straw theory" to my faith now. That waitress was shoving her view on recycling down my throat. She had a worthy burden, but her approach was disarming. Do I do the same to others with my faith? I certainly hope not! Yes... I want to share what sustains me so that others too can be sustained. I don't want to have the opposite impact because of my approach.

1 comment:

  1. Susie, you share with such transparency and love, and live what you believe. Sorry, but no waitress should be lecturing anyone, but rather serving the food, and a dose of kindness along with it, so we want to return. Often even when the food is not the best I go back because of the service. Yes, one person can make such a huge impact. So whether you are a waitress, or bartender, teacher, or nurse, people respond to your approach.
    How can I serve you? What can I do to lighten your load?
    "People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care"...was a quote I heard once.
    Susie, thank -you for sharing what you have lived with, and are living through, with such grace, and faith that it continually speaks to me.
    And you know it's clearly contagious...and something I desire to catch again and again.
    Keep spreading the love Susie!

    ReplyDelete