Thursday, April 5, 2012

Health Update: Radiation

Today I am using my blog to update anyone who is interested. If not, then you need not read any further. Finally, I received my long awaited phone call from the radiologist oncologist's office. It had only been 2 weeks, but honestly, it seemed like a month. I had to apologize for my impatience.

Tuesday, I will see my radiologist oncologist & then once a week for the next 6 weeks. Hopefully 33 treatments will be completed, 1 treatment each day, Monday through Friday. Apparently, I am a rather complicated case. From what I gather, having breast cancer on your left side presents added difficulty to radiation treatment. It's actually quite fascinating...

When I went to be measured a few weeks ago, unbeknownst to me, the technicians tracked my breathing. I remember something being mentioned about my breathing, but my ignorance prevented me from comprehending what I heard. In my case, when I breathe, my heart will be in the path of the radiation rays.

Since we don't want heart damage, my breathing will be tracked during each treatment. My heart should be protected from each ray. The treatments will take 20 minutes instead of 5. If my understanding is accurate, my heart should be safe, & my radiation effective.

I am thankful I will see my doctor before my treatments begin. I still have a few troubling questions. At least now, I have a schedule, & I know my heart seems to be the major complication. Side effects are likely to be a problem. I have a few questions about what to expect.

After relaying this to my daughters, they asked me how I felt about "things," if I felt better. My answer: I am thankful to have a schedule & to understand my complications. I will feel even better when I have a few more answers. The truth is what I want. It's been an agonizing 2 weeks, as my mind seems to enjoy playing tricks on me, interfering with my positive outlook, & my peace which comes from God.

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine these thoughts, but even in my own life--I wonder some of the same things. The future seems so unknown career wise for me, yet each time I worry--I'm turning those thoughts to a praise to Jesus for keeping me in His hands!

    Praying hard for you because I know that my life seems so complicated, and unknown but I can't imagine how it would feel physically.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Erika. I will keep you in my prayers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out for you Susie. I am sending you my love and prayers through this journey.

    Love from your cousin Becky

    ReplyDelete