Tuesday, April 3, 2012

taken

This has been an unusual year for me (to say the least). I am soon to have a milestone birthday. I never saw myself turning 50 in this predicament. I don't have any idea what I expected, but this was not in my view. However, as I've said many times over, I have found treasures on my unexpected journey that I never expected.

I have been the recipient of  the sweetest birthday gift I've ever known. A few weeks ago, our beloved cat of 17 years was laid to rest. She did her job well as a family pet. Comforting our kids was her specialty. Truth is... I never knew what her presence meant to me until she was gone. Over the last 8 months, she devoted herself to comforting me. She never left my side. We were couch potatoes together.

In her absence, I was lonely. We have a darling Lab, but he is Daddy's boy. I like that, & I am happy for the companionship the 2 of them share. Prior to our cat's passing, we had agreed, we would never have another cat. The kids were all grown up now, & it was time to move past cat boxes, hairballs, & such. My husband had been the sole caretaker of the cat for years. I don't know quite how this happened, but all cat duties fell on him. Because she was quite sickly, he spent hours cleaning our carpets & looking after her, especially after I got sick.

I think it was the day after Kit's passing that I began to plant this seed: I want a cat for my birthday. If I said my husband was stunned, that would be an understatement. What about our agreement? Did my words mean nothing? As many of the events in my life have lately caught me off guard, so did this desire for kitty. I felt childish, & I behaved childishly. To say I begged him to death is putting it mildly.

My husband has made the mistake of giving in to my every whim since we were 13 & 14. Yes, I am spoiled, & his "no" was hard for me to accept. Truth is... he loves me, & he would do anything for me. I don't feel good for being like this. I am just being honest.

As fate would have it, my dear friend & I were visiting PetSmart, & I walked back to see the cats. Before I knew it, I had fallen head over heals for this little Torti. I held her, & she looked up into my eyes. It was an instant bond, & I just knew this cat was for me.

Finally, my husband gave in. It took 2 whole days as he pondered what this meant for him, what it said about me, what it said about him, what it said about us. I know it seems ridiculous, but it was a whole lot deeper than adopting a cat.

Sunday afternoon, we officially adopted Bella. Papers were signed, & we headed home with our prize. I felt like a little girl having a birthday wish granted, not like a mid lifer fighting cancer. I had 2 appointments the next day, & her diversion was beautiful. My heart was beating with joy.

Bella is a treasure, but the best prize is my husband. I have an unexpected appointment today, a minor complication that needs to be tended to. Doctor can only see me during Bella's appointment with our Vet. Already the burden of care falls on my husband. He & my daughter will see that Bella receives her first exam.

So last night as we sat in our respective places. My husband in the big chair with Otis, & I on the couch with Bella cuddled up in my arms, he looked at me with that look, that look of love. He whispered "sweet nothings" to Bella. We both sat totally taken by our new little addition to our family. She is special, & I believe God made her just for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment