Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Tenderly

Today I am contemplating tenderness. By this, I mean, having a heart of compassion for others. Specifically, I am thinking about those who serve in the health care world. A dear friend came to visit me today. She always wants to know my daily journey. After she left, I was thinking back through our conversation.

I've always known I was about relationship, but I think this journey has made me realize to what extent others matter to me. There have been some perks along the way in this unpredictable journey; particularly the people I meet. They tend to make me or break me. At least, that is how I let them effect me.

When their hearts are tender towards my fragile state, I am better able to deal with my ups & downs. I say at least one clueless thing daily; it is a result of chemo brain. I forget something significant, & it makes me appear as if I'm off my noodle.

As my friend & I visited, I found myself telling her how each of my doctor's treated me & about the nurses that did little things to comfort me. If you are a health care professional & reading my blog, please never underestimate the value of your kindness. Sometimes you have to give me bad news or guide me through unpleasant treatments, & how you treat me makes all the difference in the world.

I have been treated mainly with compassion & respect. When sad news comes my way, I am able to cope with it so much better when I am treated tenderly. When I am treated harshly, I respond with fear. It kicks in without my consent. It takes all I have to beat it down & face my woes. It takes all I have to hold my self together, & sometimes, I don't.

Another treasure on this journey comes in how it matures the ones I love. I have seen heart changes in the people that are walking this walk with me. These changes prove themselves over time with consistency. When my relationship with another human being is deepened or refined, I am able to thank God for cancer. Truly, I find so much peace in the growth of the human heart (whether mine or that of a loved one), it makes the whole journey worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment